The Aurora Summit offers a weekend packed with activities related to the Northern Lights, Astrophotography and the Night Sky. The organizers make an effort to showcase new talent at each conference. Planning takes place throughout the calendar year, with the goal of launching registration in June.
Aurora Summit 18: Conference Schedule
Aurora Summit 18, the second annual conference, will feature a keynote speaker, educational sessions, a panel discussion, a banquet with an Aurora Slideshow, and many opportunities for night sky photography. We also have some special features planned!
Check out our Events page to learn about the presenters!
The preliminary conference schedule for Aurora Summit 18 is posted below. Activities may be subject to change.
* Updates have been made to the schedule!
AURORA SUMMIT 18
Friday, Nov. 2 — Sunday, Nov. 4, 2018
All activities take place at Superior Shores Resort & Conference Center, located on Lake Superior’s shore, in Two Harbors, Minnesota.
FRIDAY, NOV. 2
2pm – 5pm: Registration at Host Hotel
5pm: Conference opens with Meet and Greet
Dinner Buffet (Included in Registration)
8-9pm: Aurora Matters! Panel Discussion
9pm: After Hours Activities
• Night photography on your own
SATURDAY, NOV. 3
9:00 – 9:55am: Session I
• Basics for Night Sky Photography
• From Apps to Kp: Aurora Forecasting for Beginners
• 10 Keys to Gain a Social Media Following
10:15 – 11:10am: Session II
• Essential Software and Apps for Aurora Chasers and Photographers
• Aurora Culture and Mythology
• The Juno Mission and Jupiter’s Aurora
11:30am – 1:30pm: Boxed Lunch (Included in Registration)
1:30 – 2:25pm: Session III
• Aurora Borealis: A Photographer’s Guide
• Meet STEVE: The Aurora Getting All the Attention
• Aurora from Satellites Above and Photographers Below
2:45 – 3:40pm: Session IV
• Deep-Sky with Your D-SLR: Getting the Right Camera Gear
• Establishing an International Dark Sky Park
• No Aurora Yet? Camera Techniques to Capture Elusive Light
4:00-5:00pm: Aurora Chasers Atlas — Meet new travel companions!
Cash Bar Opens
5:30-9:00pm: Aurora Summit Banquet (Included in Registration)
• Featuring Keynote Speaker Mary Stewart Adams
• Aurora Slideshow
9:00pm: After Hours Activities on Superior Shores Beach
• Night Photography
• Aurora Chasing
• Light Painting
• Beach Bonfire
SUNDAY, NOV. 4
Sunday Special Features
• Travelogue Presentation, with tour group from Alaska Adventures
• Between Fire and Ice: Desert Nights and Arctic Lights,
including an outlook on Celestial Sights for 2019
• Grand Finale: Aurora Awards, Raffle Prizes, Photo Review
12:30 pm: Farewell
Opportunities After Hours
At the Aurora Summit, there’s time to enjoy other activities on your own, before and after each conference day. Located on the hotel property, Superior Shores Beach in Flood Bay offers a pebble beach perfect for viewing and photographing the Northern Lights.
Opportunities after hours include:
• Sunrise Photography on Lake Superior’s North Shore
• Rock Beach Bonfire at Superior Shores
• Night Photography, Aurora Chasing & Light Painting
Aurora Summit 17: Conference Recap
The full schedule for Aurora Summit 17 is posted on the Facebook Event Page. At the inaugural conference, we were proud to present our keynote speaker, Bob King, creator of Astro Bob’s Astronomy for Everyone and the author of Night Sky with the Naked Eye.
Past Aurora Summit Sessions
The Aurora Summit brings in expert photographers, scientists, authors, folklorists and artists who volunteer their time to present on topics related to the Northern Lights. Session topics vary from year to year, but they usually include a combination of scientific subjects, photography techniques, adventure guides and storytelling.
Past presentations have included:
• How to Set Your Camera for Aurora Photography
• What to See & Photograph in the Night Sky
• Phenomenal Light Painting
• How to Post Process Aurora Photographs
• Aurora Folklore & Mythology
• Shooting the Milky Way
• Planning Trophy Nightscapes
• Intro to Forecasting Aurora
• Bizarre Nights: Fireballs, Proton Arcs, Iridium Flares and More
Do you have more questions? Get answers with the FAQ.